We examine the drivers behind the Events Services market and M&A in the space; an interview with Kathleen Thomas on the Events Services sector; our experiences across Events and related services as well as other news and events.
What is the market?
The Events Services sector spans event design/creative, content development, design and fabrication, installation, digital activation as well as event logistics.
What’s driving the market?
- Strong growth in the underlying events market
- Face-to-face channel remains critical in driving ROI through engagement and transactional activity
- Increased event outsourcing by brands
- Ability to produce and deliver premium, best-in-class events is vital
- Increasing demand for event automation
- Broader and adjacent c.$6bn global event management software sector growing at 12% CAGR
- Growing need for turn-key solutions
- Service providers differentiating through provision of end-to-end solutions to customers vs. point solutions from multiple providers
How is this impacting M&A activity?
Strategics undergo market consolidation
Event organisers are increasingly looking to be creative and deliver better experiences and ROI for all participants. In response we have seen events service providers look to consolidate what has been historically a fragmented market. Some of the key strategics such as Freeman and VIAD Corp have been highly active in recent years.
Attractive conditions for private equity
Given the size of the market, the abundance of relatively cheap capital and the opportunity for ‘Buy and Build’ strategies, private equity remains active within the category. Examples of private equity backed platforms include Blackstone’s PSAV, EMZ and Indigo backed MCI Group, and Carlyle backed NEP.